Thursday, September 15, 2011

Shrink Your Waist By Expanding Your Horizons

It is amazing the change from when I was a youth until now not just because I lost so much weight but also in what I enjoy eating and even the activities and hobbies I have adopted. I can still remember fondly meals of Macaroni and Cheese Thursdays and Little Ceasars Saturdays growing up. Another favorite of mine was eating Stove Top stuffing as a meal itself. In particular I remember an instance (there were many I am sure) where we were at Pizza Inn and I wanted a salad. This salad consisted of not a single bit of green but it did have heaping portions of bacon bits, ranch, croutons and cheese. Not a bit of green could get past these lips. I tried a few times to eat some lettuce and a gag reflex would kick in. Now, there is not a meal I prepare that does not have some veggies (usually piles of them).

Another oddity of then versus now is my physical activity level. In middle school everyone remembers doing the fitness tests? I hated them probably more than most. The last fitness test of my 6th grade year I did not even come in for the mile because P.E. class had to get on to other things. It was pretty embarrassing. Now I actually enjoy running and physical activity.

Gym Class Rope climb<br/><br/><br/><br/><br/>ur doin' it... almost!


Today I challenge you to try something new, preferably something healthy. It can be taking the stairs instead of the elevator, choosing an apple over french fries, parking further away from wherever your destination may be, or just purchasing a new fruit or vegetable you have never had. Have you ever had a passion fruit or a fresh pineapple? If you already exercise then try a new route outdoors, try a new exercise or a new grip to an existing exercise. Try something new today and share it with the rest of us. Who knows, maybe whatever you tried will inspire somebody else and will create an outbreak of the healthies!



2 comments:

  1. This was great! Thanks for the challenge. I will let you know what I come up wtih!

    Becky Christiansen

    ReplyDelete