Friday, December 2, 2011

Pick It Up Like It's Cold!

Sorry for the delay in posts. Work, life, and school have been taking a bigger chunk of time than I had anticipated. I have come across a few humorous articles as of late that I have been inspired to talk about. The first one is on cracked.com and if you have not been there before, it is worth a looksie. They host some funny articles on there. Today this one struck my eye about a new runner who figured out the runners mentality. People have asked me why I do what I do or wear what I do when I do it or why I eat what I eat or how I have energy to do what I love doing. The bottom line is until you feel that amazing feeling that takes you over you will never know. For the religious, it must be as close to the Ascension as earthly possible once you finish a good run or a terrific workout. You would think it would tire you out, but I always feel much more energized which my loving girlfriend has trouble grasping! haha

Give it a try for no less than 3 weeks and you will understand!
The second article was inspired by a friends facebook post, but it made me curious. He inquired why there are no fat vampires. Hollywood aside, I wondered about how many calories were in blood, if any and found an article that reminded me that there is glucose in a persons blood and therefore calories, not to mention lipids and blood proteins. I could not find anything anywhere that told me these were all dietary fats or proteins, but if I am correct and if the 'Normal' lab values I found for blood glucose, cholesterol, and blood proteins is correct (not to mention my unpracticed math involving conversions) then the average person with 5 qts of blood would be worth about 1465 calories to a vampire including 45cals of sugar (100 mg/dL), 1315cals of protein (6.95 g/dL), and fats (240 mg/dL). In no way do I have conclusive evidence that this is true, but it is still fun to think about.



Finally, I also finished my second half marathon at the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, Oklahoma this year and set a few personal 'bests' including beating my previous 1/2 marathon by 22 minutes with a finish time of 2:45:32, did the first 30 minutes at my designated jog speed (I usually cannot maintain jog speed for more than 25min before a brief speed walk), and got a decent finish line photo where I did not look like I had broken my legs. Unfortunately, both images I speak of are copywritten but believe me when I said the first was baaaaaad. =)

So who else has had a great holiday season so far and how are you dealing with the lack of warmth outside and all the good eats? Now is a great time to get a gym membership if you haven't already, or if you are a gamer both all the consoles have a pretty good selection of video games like Just Dance to getcha movin'. I consider myself in good shape and I was still a bit stiff the day after I did an hour of Just Dance, so I highly recommend it. For those that do not do the gaming thing, checkout some of the fitness DVD's. Trust me when I say you can overcome the winter blues by just keeping active. Being active is a good thing after all! Here is an awesome upbeat song to put you in the mood.






1 comment:

  1. Wow, the things you come up with. Fat vampires? lol!
    I NEED to get back in the gym soon, all the holiday yummys are catching up to me. No bueno!

    ReplyDelete